Hünkar Beğendi (“The Sultan Liked It” – Meat Stew with Eggplant Puree)
Cooks in the Ottoman Palace were always turning out new and delicious dishes. This one was obviously a favourite of the Sultan, so much so that it was named after the fact.
- ½ lamb cut into small pieces
- 6 eggplants (long type)
- 2 onions, minced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 c milk
- 3 c water
- 5 T butter
- 1 c grated kashar cheese
- 2 T flour
- 5-10 sprigs parsley
- Salt, pepper
- In 1 T of oil, sauté onions and brown the meat.
- Add the tomatoes and cook further.
- Add salt and pepper, and 3 c water, reduce heat, cover and simmer.
- Meanwhile, cook eggplants on grill or over a gas flame. Remember to pierce the eggplants once before cooking in this manner or they will explode.
- When they are completely soft, remove their peels and beat them with a mixer and puree.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan, add the flour and toast lightly.
- Add the eggplant puree and milk.
- Add salt, and cook, stirring until the mixture thickens well.
- Just before removing from the flame, add the cheese and stir until it is melted and mixed well.
- Place some of the eggplant mixture on a plate, and make a shallow well in the centre, put the hot meat mixture in the middle, garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Recipe acquired from www.goturkey.com.